Thursday, 30 June 2011
I have been texturing some of the finer details of the car, adding the badges, wipers, and most recently the lower orange lights and grill. Whilst searching for reference images for the badges I found some better quality reference for the center grill so I went back and re-textured it.
The centre Lancia badge looks quite flat so I think I will build more of a 3d mesh rather than just projecting the image onto a single plane. It's a focus point of the front of the car so I think it should have a greater amount of detail. The 'HF' badge came out really well using a normal map so I would like the Lancia badge to be at the same quality.
I added a simple mud texture to ground the car and give it some weight. I can't wait to begin creating the full forest environment. There are just a few more areas I want to finish on the car first.
- Texture the square fog lights on the front
- Texture the back lights
- Build the exhaust
Sunday, 19 June 2011
Sunday, 12 June 2011
Today I have been working on texturing some of the front details of the car. I have really tried to push my knowledge and spent a great deal of time learning about creating good glass effects and utilizing normal maps to create fine detail without the extra polygons.
After a large amount of experimentation and frustrating failures I have started to get my head around using these techniques to achieve some great results. I'm really pleased with the progress I am making, both with this model and my general technical ability.
Next on the to do list:
- Texture the remaining lights on the front and back of the car
- Re-texture the main grill to bring it up to a higher standard
- Model in some basic seats to give some shape and silhouette inside the car
- Add detail areas such as the front badges and license plates
- Model the exhaust
- Begin building dirt track road and forest environment
Thursday, 9 June 2011
Here is an updated render of my car modelling. I've now finished the majority of the modelling and have begun working with the materials. I have been experimenting with the windows trying to get a nice balance between opacity, tint and reflection.
My next task is to unwrap the model and start texturing.